Friday, January 27, 2017

Pattern Recognition

Now, as with any good dress, you have to start with good fabric. To that end my sisters (The Bride and Bridesmaid Other) went to about 438 different stores in the garment district in downtown Toronto.  We were disappointed to learn that, like NY, a lot of the stores had either disappeared, or become so specialized as to be totally useless. A BUTTON store? Seriously? Although in their defense, apparently the buttons were all very storied and pretty cool. So yes, you already know, I found emerald-green raw silk at a mere $25/yard and bought 9 yards of it. TO BE SAFE, that's why. Also, as previously mentioned, I am not a professional sewer, so despite asking the internets for estimating help while I was in the store and getting NONE, I was kind of at a loss for how much fabric I'd need. And I figured, better safe than sorry.

After hurrying home to put the fabric in my wall safe I started looking at patterns. Miles and miles and buckets and buckets of online patterns. The problem was twofold; I had something very vague in mind, and I had another dress (Bridesmaid Other's) to try and at least look semi decent against. I finally gave up and went to Fabricland, where I found - the PERFECT PATTERN!

No, I'm just kidding, I don't want to look like a sack lunch at the wedding.
It was THIS ONE!


I'm still kidding.
I'm hoping my sister The Bride hasn't fainted. She's pretty tough and is probably nodding her head like, 'Sure, those could work'.


I almost bought this one. If you look past the crazy fabric it's a decent base. Flare-y skirt, pockets, simple. I could do some sleeves, something with the waist, I dunno.
But then I saw this. And again, look PAST the fabric...


Now this, this I could make into something fun. It's the one on the right, but with the sleeves from the one on the left. And that weird waist thing turned into something else. What I just needed was something that wouldn't be too horrible on a larger lady, with a skirt that could accommodate a crinoline (because WHY NOT, that's why), and that wasn't grossly complex. I mean, I can sew in a zipper and a hook & eye, and that's all that's on the back, so let's do it. I think I should also do my hair like that. And stand like that. And also take Xanax through the whole thing like a true 1950's housewife.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I TOTALLY gasped with dramatic fun pleasure at the made-entirely-from-silver-silk one but yeah, true, this isn't a sci-fi convention...mostly. So wow, fun! What a solid base. Are you sure you want long sleeves, like on the left? Won't that be sweaty? The hourglass shape your pattern though is SO GOOD. I'm still totally lost but YOU GO, WOMAN. So exciting to see it take shape!

    ReplyDelete