Thursday, January 26, 2017

Getting Some Green Dress, A Brief History

Now, I don't want everyone to go getting spoiled and thinking they'll get this kind of attention all the time with TWO, count them TWO back-to-back posts in ONE DAY.

But I wanted to explain the name of the blog, in case you didn't know, since I sure as heck didn't until last week.

So last week I went to my local Fabricland, which for my US followers is like a poor girl's Jo-Ann, and started the hunt for a 'base' dress pattern. I say 'base' in quotes like that because I know that no matter what I use to start with, I'm going to end up Frankensteining the poor thing. There just isn't a decent (plus-sized) pattern that isn't matronly or weirdly Lola-esque; it seems to be those two extremes. Also, since I had already purchased the fabric (I know, right, I bought the fabric BEFORE the pattern, daring right?!) and was thinking, "Maybe I'll do this the right way for once!", I figured I'd get interfacing and lining and, uh, notions. Yes, I had a notion to get notions.

Like I do with strangers I was talking excessively to the very polite and interesting-seeming shop girl about what I was going to be making. She kind of knowingly nodded and said, "Ah, so you'll be 'getting the green dress, eh?'" (because this is Canada, henceforth please just add the 'eh' on in your head). I was like, "Uh... yes?" because she seemed to be implying something unseemly, and I normally get a LOT of dirty jokes, but I wasn't getting this one. Turns out there's some sort of very old expression about 'getting the green dress' that implies a tumble in the grass of a physical nature - hence, the green on your dress. Which I find hilarious, because as a single mother of an almost- 9-year old who does laundry on Friday nights, there has been NO green on my dress in quite a while. But I liked the implication. So we'll see how many people at the wedding give me knowing winks and suggestive leers.

2 comments:

  1. Has someone been watching too much 'Project Runway'??
    Also, I'm sorry, but I have to. I keep mis-reading this, so here are my edits. :) "40's working, choice-single mother. Mostly sane. Ish."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now look, if you're willing to give up your job and move in with me and be my proof-reader, then you are totally hired for $0/hr. Otherwise, you will just have to be bothered, because it's only going to get much, much worse. Muchly.

    ReplyDelete